Sunday, June 7, 2009

Here At The Crossroads of Time

I'm still a little bit shellshocked that I'm a high school graduate. I've been one for a good 32 hours now, but still can't get over it. It's just like, wow, it's all over. Completely. The past couple of years all's I've been talking about is how much I can't wait for college and how much I wanted out of high school. But now it's all starting to come to me... I'm going to miss it. I'm not saying I think I should spend another year in high school... I've paid my dues (in the form of IB exams and Extended Essay), and I deserved that diploma. But what gets me is that the teachers that mentored me throughout all of this... are no longer going to be a part of my life. And neither are my peers from Xaverian High School, except for maybe a couple more get-togethers. Chapter One of my life has officially closed. Chapter Two won't truly begin until September up in Albany... right now we're kind of stuck in the middle. Kinda still in chapter one, kinda in chapter two. So I figured what better way to sort my emotions than right here on my nifty little blog?
Well, as the saying goes, everything happens for a reason. And the purpose of yesterday's commencement was to introduce 350 able in mind, body, and spirit individuals into the world to attempt to change the face of it. Hope for the future was unleashed yesterday... potential. And that's the word I'm going to focus on in this entry... potential. That's what life is all about. We all have the potential to be great--- to live in God's image. To live respectful, yet fun, lives. To venture into life experiences you once thought you'd never have. And that's what college is. A life experience like no other, where the potential is literally limitless. That's what I'm striving for in college, to reach my potential. My one regret in high school was that I waited until around Junior Year to really start being social, and I feel I may've paid for that the past couple of years as I've tried to make my way into the social circles that were already established four years ago. I love you all at Xaverian, but I really do need a fresh start. In many ways, we all do. College is just as much about redemption and renewal as it is partying and having fun. I hope to combine all of these things, actually. That'd make for a great college experience. Always remember your potential can not be used to help you in life until you realize it's there. It's always there. The road to a successful, happy life is just a crossroads away.

No comments:

Post a Comment